Flooding presents a number of risks to health, drowning being the most obvious. Serious injury can be caused by falling into fast flowing water or from hidden dangers under the water, such as missing manhole covers. The stress and strain of being flooded and cleaning up can have a notable impact on mental health and wellbeing.
You can prepare for flooding by following some simple steps to reduce the impact of flooding on your property:
- View the latest weather forecast on the Met Office website.
- Sign up for Floodline Warnings Direct from the Environment Agency – a free service that provides automated flood warnings by telephone, mobile, email, SMS text message or fax.
- View the Environment Agency website for the latest flood warnings (updated every 15 minutes).
- Call floodline on 0845 988 1188 or Typetalk 0845 602 6340.
- Contact your parish council to find out about community resilience and community flood planning
- Talk to our Emergency Planning team
For further advice on dealing with flooding, Public Health England have published their leaflet Advice for the Public.